New Smart Phone App Features TVA Lakes
KNOXVILLE -― A new smart phone app can provide real time information about TVA lakes. The Tennessee Valley Authority released the application which is currently available to iPhone users (http://itunes.apple.com/app/tva-lake-info/id440331543?mt=8).
The app is free and offers information on lake elevations, water release schedules, yearly operating guides and Google-based maps. It will also work on the iPod Touch and the iPad.
"One of the most popular destinations on TVA's website is the lake information page," said John McCormick, senior vice president of River Operations. "Now, all of that information can be accessed right on your smart phone."
Features of the TVA iPhone app include:
• Lake elevations - water levels information for all TVA lakes
• Water release schedule - when TVA releases water through power generating turbines or spillway gates
• Lake operating guide - yearly guide TVA uses to manage water levels
• Navigation lock information - contact information and instructions for using the navigation locks
• Navigation markers reference guide - explains channel markers and navigation aids
• Google-based maps - locations of lakes in the Tennessee River system
A similar app for the Android smart phone is under development and will soon be available at the Android Marketplace. Other smart phone users can go to http://m.tva.com for a mobile version of the lake information web page.
Published June 15, 2011
Subscribe to Knoxville Daily Sun